Excellence in Education
- St. John’s curriculum meets and exceeds national standards as established by Common Core. This curriculum includes Academic Reading, Music Education, Hands-on Science and performance opportunities.
- Small class sizes and dedicated classroom aides afford teachers an opportunity to give students individual attention.
- Highly qualified faculty view teaching as a ministry.
- Our students’ test scores exceed national and state averages, as well as Lyons Township district averages.
- Our graduates find success as they continue their education in area high schools including: Lyons Township, Riverside Brookfield, Hinsdale Central, Downers Grove North, Walther Lutheran, Nazareth Academy, Fenwick and Timothy Christian High Schools.
Curriculum guides by class
Reading: St. John’s believes that reading is an integral part of academic success. In addition to grade level curriculum, students in kindergarten through eighth grade participate in the Accelerated Reader program. Students are able to choose the books they read based on their reading level. They set goals with their teacher’s guidance and work to reach them each quarter.
Music education: Music is at the heart of worship and human expression. Research in neuroscience shows that music education at an early age may improve brain plasticity and help the brain later in life to distinguish and hear different tones. Therefore, music education is a vibrant part of the curriculum at St. John’s. Our curriculum includes: regular music classes for PreK through 8th grade, a Primary Choir for all students in 1st-4th grade, Junior Choir for all students in 5th-8th grade, as well as additional training available to all students. Additional music education opportunities include: strings and piano (lessons during the school day) for K-8th graders, band for students in 4th-8th grade, Echoes of Praise (auditioned choir) and handbell choirs for students in 5th-8th grade.
Performance opportunities: Students regularly perform in fine arts, public speaking, church leadership, science and academic fairs. Upper grade students perform in the Fine Arts Festival for Chicago area Lutheran schools each spring, which includes vocal and instrumental performances. All students sing in church worship services each year, lead a Christmas worship service and a musical. Students also present science and academic fairs in front of each other and the public. All of these opportunities lead to students who present comfortably in front of an audience.
Small class sizes: Classes at St. John’s range from eight to 20 students. Teachers regularly work with small groups of students and individualize learning goals for each child. Regular classroom aides and parent/congregational volunteers also support teachers and students to further individualize education.
Outstanding staff: All of our teachers are certified in the State of Illinois and most of them have specialized masters degrees. Our faculty include certified Physical Education teachers and professional musicians. Every teacher works to help students reach their potential. St. John’s teachers put in many extra hours to help their students. Everyone coaches, sponsors an activity, or contributes beyond the classroom. These extra-curricular activities allow our educators to get to know their students even better and create positive bonds with them.